I was getting following error twice-thrice a week while starting Outlook 2016:
Outlook cannot log on. Verify you are connected to the network and are using the proper server and mailbox name. The Microsoft Exchange information service in your profile is missing required information. Modify your profile to ensure that you are using the correct Microsoft Exchange information service.
Once I clicked OK, I got following message:
System resources are critically low. Close some windows.
Again clicking on OK, I got following message:
Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The information store could not be opened.
And clicking on OK will do nothing. Outlook cannot be started.
So, following is the solution:
In this case, the problem is related to an incorrectly configured Autodiscover service. This problem only happened while Outlook 2016 with Office 365, and the seems to be intermittent, disappearing for a short while on a clean profile build before eventually returning. (If I deleted and re-created profile, everything would work for two-three days, then the problem would re-surface).
After several hours of troubleshooting, I found an AutoD.mailaddress.xml file that was created for the associated account under %localappdata%\Microsoft\Outlook\16 folder.
I already have another Hotmail account that does not have any error as the Office 365 Exchange account that I was having trouble with. On analyzing the AutoD XML files between the two accounts, it was obvious that the account with problem was pulling incorrect settings.
To fix I did the following:
- Open Outlook with a working account (in my case, I had Hotmail account set in new profile) or create a dummy POP profile with no information. Any how, get Outlook open and running.
- From there, locate the Outlook icon in the system status tray, hold down CTRL and
Right Click, and select “Test E-Mail AutoConfiguration”.
- Enter your email address and password and click the test button.
- If everything looks right (there are office365.com settings within the results) click over to the XML tab and CTRL+A, CTRL+C to select/copy everything in it.
- Go back to %localappdata%\Microsoft\Outlook\16 and open your problem account AutoD XML file in simple text editor (like Notepad++).
- Delete everything within and paste the new information you got from the AutoConfiguration Test (that you copied). Save and close.
From this point I was able to reopen Outlook with no problems. It’s suggested to make a backup copy of the XML configuration so that you can easily replace it if Outlook decides to grab the wrong AutoDiscover information again.